Water Operator - Sun Prairie Utilities
Sun Prairie Utilities provides water to the City of Sun Prairie and is looking for a municipal water operator to maintain and repair wells, towers, reservoirs, mains, valves, services, and hydrants, plus perform advanced metering conversion and meter testing duties. Candidates must be willing to attain or retain WI DNR Subclass D&G Operator certifications and have a positive, team player attitude.
A valid CDL with a good driving record and experience operating heavy equipment are highly preferred.This is a skilled position in the maintenance and repair of the municipal water system. The majority of the work is performed in the field with some duties performed in the shop. Reports to the Lead Water Operator for daily assignments and field work activities.
$23.38-$33.40/hr. depending on experience.
- Essential Job Functions
- Perform and inspect taps of all water main.
- Install water main and associated tees, valves, services, and hydrants.
- Make emergency repairs to water main, valves, hydrants, services, and curb boxes.
- Operate backhoe, dump truck and crane used to maintain the distribution system.
- Repair streets using roller and asphalt cold patch following water main breaks.
- Inspect water main and service installations.
- Test, repair, replace and install water meters.
- Take periodic water samples as required by the State of Wisconsin.
- Perform daily inspection of wells, including collecting fluoride and chlorine data.
- Perform maintenance on wells, valves, hydrants, towers and reservoirs.
- Flush water mains and hydrants and enter/update flow test data for mapping system.
- Locate water mains and services requested per Digger’s Hotline.
- Plow snow, mow lawns, maintain vehicles/equipment, and other functions as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requirements of Work
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Knowledge of Sun Prairie water distribution system.
- Ability to do maintenance and repairs on the distribution system.
- Ability to use and understand the SCADA system.
- Knowledge of the control and operation of the various well houses.
- Ability to operate and maintain all types of vehicle/equipment.
- Ability to use mobile technology devices for completing GIS-assisted field processes.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions, technical bulletins, and drawings.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, the public, and fellow employees.
- Ability to calculate equations associated with the water distribution system.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or GED.
- WDNR certification in ground water and distribution.
- Valid Wisconsin Commercial Driver's License - class A.
- Knowledge of First Aid and CPR.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describes the physical demands required to perform the essential functions of the job and the work environment that the employee will encounter.
- Work is primarily performed in field, near moving parts and in the outside weather conditions. The employee will be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, extreme heat, and vibration. Requires ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods under unfavorable weather conditions.
- The employee is also required to work in general office environment.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 100 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment, on occasion, may exceed 85 decibels and require hearing protection.
- Employee is required to be on stand-by call and report promptly as needed.
The above is intended to describe the general content of the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
The City of Sun Prairie is committed to advancing equity, honoring our diverse identity, and creating an inclusive culture. These serve as our guiding principles every day in all that we do. Keep us accountable to this mission and join us in this commitment to a thriving Sun Prairie, as you live, work, and play. If you need an accommodation during the hiring process, please contact Human Resources at 608-825-1174 or HumanResources@cityofsunprairie.com.