GIS Analyst or GIS Specialist - Utilities
The City of Sun Prairie is looking for a detail oriented and skilled GIS team member to join a close-knit team providing essential services in the GIS Engineering department. This position has a focus working with wastewater and stormwater utilities (Utilities Program). The candidate will be offered either the GIS Analyst or GIS Specialist role based on the experience and qualifications.
GIS Analyst: starting $27.7894 per hour
GIS Specialist: starting $30.6460 per hour
The GIS Analyst assists with GIS data development, ongoing maintenance, data conversions, GPS data collection, spatial analyses, web map system development (mobile GIS), and cartography. Assured ongoing hands-on exposure to many facets of GIS in a multi-department municipal government setting. Progressive responsibilities are available to motivated team members.
The purpose of the position is to adapt, prepare, analyze, and maintain Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and Global Positioning Systems (GPS) data and integrate this information into the City Enterprise GIS database, perform other spatial analysis, and generate report and map products. In addition, this position implements applications for field GPS data collection.
Furthermore, provide support for GIS applications design, development and analysis using ESRI products and tools; design, develop, document, test and certify applications, programs, and systems functionality. Provide sound technical expertise in developing innovative and effective solutions to a variety of complex projects and support project management objectives. Provide support for cartographic design and high-quality map production projects; provide support for GIS data compilation, systems integration, and implementations. Assist in GIS production projects.
Employee is to maintain up to date and accurate maps to ensure standard quality, as well as maintain the database properly for accurate analysis. The employee will design solution applications and assist in training users on these and the rest of the ESRI solution set. Will preform edit processing using both ESRI desktop and mobile software. Interprets legal descriptions and analyzes existing surveys for accuracy. Assists property owners, engineers, wastewater staff, and the public with geographic related inquiries. Performs field checks for updating/correcting maps and verifies mapping accuracy. Consults with City departments involved in projects, acts as a liaison. Assists to ensure quality control of data and maps. Is responsible for heading up projects (i.e., itPipes implementation). Preforms other related duties as required.
This position requires previous exposure/experience working with wastewater and stormwater utilities (Utilities Program). Responsible for keeping current GIS applications functioning properly to support the daily business activities of the Utilities Program while migrating legacy data, solutions, etc. to it. Pipes televising software. The employee will preserve data integrity of the Utilities Program information contained in the GIS database by ensuring edit procedures and QC are functioning properly. Other accountabilities include updating database integrity, document management, and expanding the functionality of the GIS system to support on-going business goals. Accomplish business goals by using Microsoft SQL Server, Python, Arcade, etc. Ability to make decisions in absence of specific policies and/or guidance form supervisors.
- Essential Job Functions
- Convert, edit, or create geographic data as necessary using ArcPro
- Creating web maps, apps, dashboards, survey 1-2-3 forms, etc. via AGOL and Portal
- Assure GIS spatial accuracy, feature alignments, attribute population is complete.
- Frequent communication and documentation of progress will be required.
- Create and update data models for spatial data sets.
- Prepare GIS data and cartographic layouts for various City departments.
- Update and maintain a wide variety of spatial data sets and documentation.
- Provide training of in-house software/hardware to individuals as well as departments.
- Act as GIS liaison to City departments (e.g. Public Works, Forestry, EMS, Engineering, etc.)
- Support GPS data collection using ArcGIS Field Maps via Trimble R1 and R2 collectors.
- Complete infield web GIS based inspection/maintenance reports via ArcGIS Field Maps.
- Coordinate data interaction between sanitary sewer and storm sewer pipeline inspection photo/video files and GIS software.
- Requirements of Work
Training, certification or coursework in GIS, geography or related field; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the following knowledge, ability and skills:
- Fluent with ArcPro, ArcGIS Enterprise, and ArcGIS Online
- Familiarity with GPS units and primary data collection in the field.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Adobe products.
- Basic familiarity using relational databases – e.g. Microsoft SQL Server.
- Basic familiarity with Python and Arcade desired.
- Familiar with metadata standards.
- Basic understanding of ArcGIS from an IT context (e.g. hardware, software, storage, security, databases, web services, etc.)
- Ability to work autonomously, in team/collaborative environments, and cross-functionally with other departments/divisions.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage projects and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with diverse populations at all levels of the organization, outside vendors/client representatives/peers and the public, and ability to relate effectively with people of varied academic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds using tact, diplomacy, and courtesy.
- Ability to independently learn new software and methods and solve problems.
- Desire to provide outstanding quality spatial data services to a variety of departments.
- Requires skill in listening, critical thinking, problem analysis and problem solving; written/verbal communication skills; ability to tailor the message, context, and mode of communication to the audience
- Must possess skill in monitoring one’s own work to ensure quality, accuracy, and thoroughness; sound judgment in recognizing scope of authority; commit to innovation and continuous process improvement, and work collaboratively within the organization.
Necessary Special Requirements
- Must possess a valid Wisconsin Driver’s License.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed mostly in an office setting; hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Some time may be spent outdoors confirming addresses or GPS locations through direct observation or through the use of a GPS device. Occasional exposure to weather conditions, heat, cold, and/or wetness/humidity.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear; use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; or smell.
- The employee must lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The City of Sun Prairie is committed to advancing equity, honoring our diverse identity, and creating an inclusive culture. These serve as our guiding principles every day in all that we do. Keep us accountable to this mission and join us in this commitment to a thriving Sun Prairie, as you live, work, and play. If you need an accommodation during the hiring process, please contact Human Resources at 608-825-1174 or HumanResources@cityofsunprairie.com.